nav-left cat-right

Fireplace Safety and Carbon Monoxide

Although perhaps not as widespread as they once were, fireplaces still grace many residential and even commercial structures. Residential fireplaces, in particular, can be havens of warmth and comfort, and can even provide families with cooking surfaces.

Most fireplace owners use wood to power fires. While most fireplace ready woods burn relatively cleanly, they can still give off small amounts of hazardous gases. Carbon monoxide (CO) is one such gas. Left to its own devices, it can cause symptoms that can be fatal.

Fireplace Safety and Carbon Monoxide Monitoring

Most fireplaces are designed to allow people to burn wood or similar fuels inside their homes. To make this work, these structures have built-in exhaust pipes called chimneys. When these parts are in good repair, they can effectively channel smoke and other by-products of combustion up and out of the home. That said, chimney systems that malfunction or become clogged can belch unseen and dangerous fumes like CO into living spaces.

Once this gas gets into living areas, it can quickly cause a range of cascading health issues that include headaches, vomiting, unconsciousness, and heart failure. Because it has no taste, color, or smell, people can quickly succumb to its effects even during waking hours.

First Alert Electric and Battery Smoke Alarms can Help

To protect against this real possibility, the experts at First Alert offer you and your loved ones a wide-variety of protective devices. First Alert CO and smoke detectors combine sensitive detection technologies with effective alert devices that can help you to quickly get out of danger.

When used in the vicinity of fireplaces, bedrooms, and other sensitive areas, First Alert electric and battery smoke alarms can form a comprehensive net of protection that can allow you and your loved ones to truly sleep easy.

2 people like this post.

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

Follow Us:

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This