nav-left cat-right

What Are Contract Wallcoverings And Their Uses

What Are Contract Wallcoverings And Their Uses

A wallcovering is used in almost any environment, from residential to commercial properties. Even paint is considered a covering for walls, so you have many options available to you. However, there are so many types on the market, and some are required for particular needs, so it is important to understand the different versions. For example, you may never have heard of contract wallcoverings and don’t know what they are or how they’re used. Most suppliers use the term instead of saying commercial coverings, so it just means that it is for business purposes, such as in schools, offices, hotels and others.


Before considering which covering to use, you need to know the amount of traffic the area will receive. For example, corridors and stairwells will see a lot of traffic and adults/children could run their hands over it frequently. These areas may require stronger coverings that are washable. Paper and other natural versions can be perfect in offices and other areas where traffic is minimal, but if you need more durability, you may want something in vinyl or a strong fabric.

Synthetic textiles and vinyl can be perfect for places that require a lot of durability and easy maintenance. For those covering walls in sporting arenas, hospitals and schools, this may be the best choice.

It is also important to note that contract and residential wallcoverings are different and made differently, but residential versions can be used in some commercial settings, such as in nursing homes and the like.

Where To Use

A commercial wallcovering is made specifically for use in office buildings, apartment buildings, hospitals, schools, retail outlets and hotels. They must be manufactured to meet the minimum characteristics in the Federal Specifications CCC-W-408.

Types Appropriate

Because there are such strict needs for commercial coverings, you’ll notice three primary options that are popular in commercial settings. These include paper-backed or solid sheet vinyl, fabric-backed vinyl and vinyl-coated paper.

Paper-backed and solid sheet vinyl have a pulp or paper substrate for the back and a decorative surface on the front. Fabric-backed vinyl uses nonwoven synthetics or fabrics for the back and whatever decorative surface you want for the front. You can choose any decorative options, including paint, seashells, crushed glass, beads and more to create the ultimate perfect look. Vinyl-coated paper uses a decorative paper surface, which is sprayed with liquid vinyl to make it slightly more durable.

Contract wallcoverings have particular regulations and needs, but you can still get creative and choose something that fits your style. Visit Maya today to learn more or contact on

1 person likes this post.

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

Follow Us:

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This